CUSTOMIZE A MMC EXPERIENCE THAT FITS YOU.
Customers have more choices than ever, with the result that most products and services are increasingly seen as commodities. So, in today’s market, what can an organization do to stand out from the crowd? Differentiating your service is the key to attracting and retaining customers – while driving bottom line results. More than ever customers are focused on value – what you can do that other organizations cannot or will not do. Customers want to know that you are focused on earning their ongoing loyalty.
Based on his 20-years with the Walt Disney World Company along with many years of consulting with organizations around the world, Dennis Snow will
provide a “how-to” program for creating a service-driven culture. This program will provide you with strategic tools that can be used to raise the bar of service throughout your organization, resulting in “walk-through-fire” customer loyalty.
Participants will learn:
- Approaches that help your employees move from a task mindset to an experience mindset.
- A process for ensuring that your organization’s “backstage” environment
never impacts the “onstage” customer experience.
- Four specific strategies for wowing customers every time.
Leading a Culture of Service Excellence
In today’s competitive market, developing a service excellence strategy is an important part of any leader’s role. Beyond developing the strategy, however, there is the challenge of executing the plan. It’s in the execution that service excellence strategies become a reality or simply another “flavor-of-the-month” program. Employees watch to see how committed the organization truly is to customer service and take their cues directly from their leaders. In order to effectively implement an organization-wide service excellence strategy, today’s leaders must rely on the skills of a facilitator and idea champion and must walk the talk of service excellence.
Based on the leadership principles Dennis learned, lived, and taught during his 20-years with Walt Disney World, this presentation highlights specific leadership behaviors that bring a service strategy to life and describes how to “hardwire” service excellence into an organization’s culture.
- Participants will learn:
- The behaviors that will define your organization’s service culture.
- Hiring processes that ensure that service-oriented individuals are recruited and selected for employment.
- New-hire and ongoing training practices that reinforce your organization’s service culture.
- Effective communications strategies that keep employees focused on the customer experience.
- Techniques for involving employees in the forward movement of the organization and empowering customer-focused decision making.
- Accountability processes that ensure that service excellence is non-negotiable.
Keep Calm & Save Your Jobs (and Your Residents)
Arm yourself with real world Problem Solving and Conflict Resolution tactics to gain resident advantage.
- Pack your arsenal with disarming techniques that will render your residents completely delighted
- How to successfully avoid communication land minds and body language booby traps
- Improve resident morale through state-of-the art creative problem resolution
Avoiding Top Errors in Affordable Housing Files
Applies to Tax Exempt Bonds, HUD, RD, LIHTC, and HOME.
Zeffert & Associates has conducted thousands of affordable housing file reviews throughout the country. They have identified issues that commonly create problems when establishing household eligibility. This session explores issues common to many affordable housing programs relating to income eligibility. Depending on context of the session, issues specific to certain programs will also be addressed. For example, student status from HUD, RD or the tax credit perspective. Practical hints to avoid mistakes in the first place will also be shared.
- Intro and retaining affordable housing funding
- Income limits
- Insufficient application issues
- Insufficient verification issues
- Income calculation issues
- Specific program issues
Excel Wizardy: The Most Powerful, Most Underutilized Application
Use Microsoft Excel for more than just lists and calculations.
We all know how to type documents in Microsoft Word and make presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint. But Excel is the real workhorse of the Office productivity suite, and it’s the one that can save you hours a week if you know how to use it. (And if you think you’re already an Excel expert, do you use the R1C1 Reference Style? Input Restriction with Data Validation? Data bars on Conditional Formatting? This class covers that and more.) Topics include:
- Excel fundamentals: it’s not a grid, it’s not a spreadsheet, and it’s not a database.
- Why cell references are the heart and soul of Excel
- Formatting tricks to make your Excel file attractive and efficient
- Filters, freezing panes, hidden rows/columns, and other visualizations
If you work with any quantity of structured data, you probably need to be considering Excel. Join us for a crash course in the most powerful, most underutilized application!
Only The Qualified Survive: Leadership “Musts” For New And Emerging Leaders
Leaders exist in every generation. How we prepare leaders today is very different, and our newest crop needs leadership development.
- Avoid team dysfunction and learn important strategies for improved communication, and enriched employee relations
- Understand the difference between coaching and mentoring, and how both fit into growing employees
- This class is guaranteed to open your eyes and influence your supervisory skills
Small Hacks: A New Approach to Tackling Your Biggest Challenges
In this interactive session you will learn a basic approach to human-centered problem solving, called Design Thinking. This problem solving methodology has been driving product innovation for years and now we are using it to tackle tough people problems like turnover, recruiting, and employee engagement. We will work through a five-step process that you can apply to your big and small property management challenges. We will give examples of small hacks (or tiny actions) that others have created, and we will task you with creating your own hack. To get the most out of this session you will need to bring a challenge you have been struggling with, and want to focus on. You will walk away with a new problem-solving framework and new ideas around how you might solve your big fuzzy problems.
Inbound Marketing Habits
In today’s world, we each carry the world’s knowledge in our pants.
As consumers, our uninhibited ability to access self-service information through our smart phones and other mobile devices has forever changed how and when we research, consider and ultimately buy products and services. Research from the Marketing Leadership Council even goes as far as to suggest that approximately 57% of a purchase decisions are now made prior to the buyer ever communicating with a sales representative.
In this high-energy presentation, Nate Riggs will open your mind to the philosophies, methodologies and technologies behind Inbound Marketing – a highly progressive form of marketing that meets this change in consumer behavior head on. Nate’s presentation has been designed to help you shift your mindset, while empowering you to begin the journey of using the inbound marketing approach to capture customer attention, build trust through information sharing and turn website visitors into leads and customers.
Audience members will come away from this presentation with a better understanding of:
- How the purchase funnel has changed as a result of digital media.
- The tie between online content and lead generation, and how you can increase demand for your products and services.
- How marketing automation and personalization can increase sales.
- Where social media fits in your company’s your marketing mix.
- How to plan your internal resources to execute inbound marketing strategies over the long term.
Conflict Resolution - Creating a More Peaceful Community
Misunderstandings and assumptions often lead to conflict. Conflict left unresolved often times just gets worse. In this short introduction to conflict and stress management:
- Participants will participate in a short introductory event, design their own learning environment, create ground rules creating a safe space, and discuss expectations
- Participants will complete a short “Conflict Style Assessment” and demonstrate strategies for minimizing individual and group sources of conflict and stress.
- Participants will identify and discuss stress sources, behaviors, and management techniques
Lunch & Awards
The following Midwest Prodigy Awards will be handed out during lunch:
- Outstanding Regional Community of the Year
- Best Community Designed for the Physically Challenged
- Best Project-Based Subsidy Community
- Best Student Housing Community
- Best Community Corporate Suite Program
- Best Community Green Initiative Program
- Best Mixed-Use Community
- Best Use of Technology
- Best Floor Plan Under 800 sq. ft.
- Best Floor Plan 801-1100 sq. ft.
- Best Floor Plan Over 1100 sq. ft.
Make Friends with your Inner Critic
You’re smart. Confident. People really like you. And yet, you can’t shake the feeling that maybe you don’t really deserve your success. Or that someone else can do what you do better…and what if your boss can see it too?
You are not alone. It’s called the Imposter (or Fraud) Syndrome. Believe it or not, the most confident and successful people often fear that they are actually inadequate. The great Maya Angelou once said, “I have written 11 books, but each time I think, ‘Uh-oh, they’re going to find out now. I’ve run a game on everybody, and they’re going to find me out.'”
But it doesn’t have to be that way! In this workshop, you’ll learn to identify the voice of your Imposter Syndrome, come up with strategies for dealing with this inner critic, and come up with a vision of how good you’re willing to have it.
Leading A Company Culture Initiative – So Much More Than Ping Pong And Nerf Guns
Company Culture is a term thrown around a lot in today’s professional world—so much so that it runs the risk of losing all meaning. Yet getting it right is essential to successful recruitment and retention efforts and provides the creative spark that underscores core values, results in a better company, and better core products and services. But no matter your business model, even if you think of your company as “boring,” maintaining a good company culture is a great way to reinforce your company image, elevate workplace morale and even increase profits. Where do you start? Who does what? Are Ping Pong tables and Nerf guns the only answer? Find out in this inspiring and informative session.
Cybersecurity and the Cloud
The distribution of employees in the real estate industry creates a special set of IT challenges. Join KSM Consulting technology and cybersecurity experts to discuss ways to keep your system safe and efficient. Leading practices for employee training related to cybersecurity will also be shared.
Fair Housing: Reasonable Accommodations/Modifications
Reviewing and approving reasonable accommodation and modification requests from applicants and tenants with disabilities can present some unique challenges. This session answers many important questions based on HUD and DOJ guidance.
Cross Cultural Selling – Converting Culture To Cash
Leveraging cultural knowledge to attract & retain multicultural renters.
For property management professionals, cultural sensitivity can help leverage the science of happiness to create a comfortable and profitable rental community. Learning about the cultural backgrounds and preferences of your rental population – as well as understanding your own communications preferences — allows you to bridge gaps and take advantage of nuances to create a happy, inclusive and diverse community that ultimately has a positive effect on your bottom line.
Real Estate Issues in Affordable Housing
This session delves into the complex Real Estate issues in affordable housing. When calculating income eligibility for affordable housing programs, real estate assets present some unique challenges. These challenges and more are discussed in this lively presentation.
Outside the Apartment Box
Trends and technology from other industries to use in apartment marketing and management.
- Learn how other industries are leveraging technology to reach consumers
- Take home trends and tips from green initiatives, collaborative marketing, and urban marketing
- Learn low-cost innovative ways to market your community’s unique advantages
Unmasking the Leader Within
Great leaders understand there is no one formula to being effective, and that each person has a specialty as it pertains to their leadership style, or brand. In this session you will learn:
- How to define your leadership specialty, and help members of your team discover theirs.
- How to deliver messaging in a way that is positive and authentic with a leader’s voice.
- How to assist your team to “think like leaders.”
- Technique to hiring the behaviors and skills that will maximize job roles and encourage leadership behaviors.
- Ways to deliver like a heart led leader.
First Time Attendee Reception
We are excited that you will be joining us for your first Midwest Multifamily Conference! We are pleased to extend to you a special invitation to attend the New Member and First-Time Attendee Reception. This wine and cheese reception is a great opportunity for you to meet and network with colleagues from around the state and surrounding states. We look forward to meeting you!
Turning Obstacles into Opportunities – Negotiating Multicultural Renters
Leveraging cultural knowledge to close the deal with multicultural clients.
For property management professionals, your Cultural Intelligence can help you leverage cultural knowledge to improve your negotiation skills and close the deal. Americans live in a fixed priced culture. Learning about the cultural backgrounds and preferences of your rental population – as well as understanding your own communications preferences – will teach you how to negotiate effectively and convert culture into cash.
Putting the Resident Back into Resident Retention
Keeping residents happy and engaged at your community isn’t all about large scale resident events. It’s about finding the balance of keeping people engaged and making people feel special individually. Learn ways to create ‘intentional interaction’ with your residents starting with the leasing process through their residency at your community.
Increasing Revenue & Asset Value Through Proven Pricing Theories & Strategies
Are you craving more confidence and clarity in your pricing models to ensure you are maximizing every dollar available to you right now? Learn precise takeaway strategies from the original developer of YieldStar in more effectively positioning and increasing the value of a real estate asset, one apartment at a time. This program provides tools that will enable each team member to think and respond strategically to marketing, leasing, and pricing opportunities in real time.
Marketing Smarter, Not Harder
Our brains are lazy and logic doesn’t always provide the best results. Neuroscience and neurasthenic research have provided greater insight to how we process information. Traditional marketing practices are being modified to provide greater return on marketing and design investments by using the information from neuroscience.
The information in this session will be beneficial for those interested in finding better ways to improve on marketing and design initiatives for multifamily housing.
Key focus areas include:
- Understanding the disconnect between logic, habits and aesthetics. Why does “pretty” work better?
- Understanding end user habits as they relate to marketing and design initiatives. Why do we keep doing the same thing with the same results?
- Explore what works and what doesn’t for print and online marketing and design. Why does design by committee never work?
- Gain insight to how sensory branding can enhance experiences. How can color, scent and music change your customer’s mood?
Team Work and Team Building
Your team is your greatest asset. In this class we will go over how to evaluate your maintenance team. What changes could be made to get optimum performance out of your current staff? When do you need to let someone go? The only way to truly compensate for a weak link is not to have one. When you have a strong maintenance team you will have a strong property.
The Power of Shifting Your Story
Narrative psychology is the exploration of how the stories we tell – about who we are, what we do, the experiences we have – become our identity. Yet so few of us are aware of how we make meaning and even outcomes via what we say and think.
Words are powerful. Notice the difference between saying “I have to” and “I want to” or “I get to.” The stories you tell become who you are. In this workshop, you’ll learn to examine a story that makes you feel stuck or is holding you back and choose to shift your narrative so that you can move forward with more ease, purpose, and joy.
Leasing Existing Apartments in a New Construction Market
For some reason, people LOVE new things. Whether it’s a new car, a new outfit or a new construction apartment, the allure of NEW is very strong. This session teaches you not only how to compete with new construction but how to actually ‘draft off’ their advertising and marketing to help you stay fully occupied and spend less in the process. Learn how to position your asset properly in the marketplace, exactly what it takes to compete with new product, and why older properties really ARE superior in many ways.
Assistance Animal Firestorm: An Aggressive Approach to Requests for Accommodations
An unauthorized pit bull becomes a “service dog” when discovered by a maintenance person. An applicant provides you with an official looking certificate that their animal is a “registered” service animal. A tenant gives you a letter signed by a therapist in California claiming that the tenant is entitled to an emotional support animal under the ADA. This presentation will assist you in identifying bogus and questionable verifications provided under the Fair Housing Act to support the need for an assistance animal and provide you the framework for aggressively and successfully “pushing back” against the assistance animal firestorm being experienced by the rental housing industry.
How to Change Your Service Team's Culture
One way to think of Zen is a total state of focus that involves the body and the mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion. That is also what Maintenance Zen is all about. Find out how to build your service teams for success. You will learn how to accurately assess the strengths and weaknesses of your property, your team and possibly even yourself. Change your culture and change your future.
Internal Marketing Audits – a Fresh Perspective
Do your traffic counts and lease conversion ratios need a booster? Have you considered increasing online advertisement and marketing dollars a solution? Hold that thought….Learn how to identify and correct critical gaps in current marketing plans before throwing dollars at a solution from a proven, national multifamily marketing and revenue strategist. What works and what doesn’t work is branded by asset. Find ways to make your marketing dollars work at maximum conversion capacity.
Lunch & Closing Session
An authentic American hero, First Sergeant Matt Eversmann recounts the events of Black Hawk Down which powerfully demonstrate the horrors of war, and the human qualities that are essential to survive it. He focuses on three attributes that brought him home alive: leadership, courage, and selfless service. Inspiring, motivational, and patriotic, he always has an emotional impact on his audience.
Lunch Sponsored by our Preferred Vendors:
Etiquette for the Modern Workplace: What to Say, Type, Wear, and Present
Being able to do your job is tremendously important. But having the respect of others through the way you present yourself is what makes having a job even possible. In an era of rapidly changing styles and incredibly fast-paced communication, is there a place for old-fashioned manners and professionalism?
The answer is a resounding “yes,” but it’s not a matter of buttoning up and quieting down. In this seminar, we cover etiquette of the modern workplace. Topics include:
- Workplace words: What to say and what not to say—and why!
- Best practices for telephone protocol (really!) that will impress your colleagues and help close more deals
- The modern definition of “professional”, and the boundary between the personal and work life.
- Dressing for success: finding your personal style, your company’s style, and your industry’s style.
Remember: little words like “please” and “thank you” aren’t just redundant. They help people feel human. Etiquette in today’s working world is all about helping others feel comfortable while still helping you achieve your professional goals. Join us!
Getting to the Heart of Service Delivery
When you think about it, the things we value and remember are not things…they are experiences. Learning to craft and deliver experiences and messaging in a way in which the outcome is, “That was easy!” and/or “That was awesome!” will result in higher satisfaction levels and increase in value perception.
In this session, learn –
- What we value as humans…it’s not things.
- How to organize a typical resident experience to maximize impact.
- How to deliver authenticity and a human voice to messaging that makes it personal and purposeful.
- How to present a warm and friendly environment and tell your community story in a way that adds value.
- To find opportunities to educate and communicate – eliminating problems before they start.
- Don’t tell me…show me. Ways to demonstrate heart-led leadership in your everyday experiences.
Bye Bye Gen Y, Hello Gen Z!
Learn about the newest generation of residents moving into your properties. These new residents manage five screens at once, text whenever possible (rather than talk) and spend more money on food than on clothing. If you don’t know a bae from a bay, or don’t know if your outfit is on fleek, you need to attend this class just to know how to communicate. Learn what Gen Z likes and doesn’t like.
Workshifting, Telecommuting, and Remote Officing
Increase productivity and accountability through the paradox of not monitoring
The supporting statistics are hard to ignore. Over 37% of corporations have begun offering telecommuting as a way to improve staff retention rates. But why is this “trend” so popular? The reasons are simple: workshifting benefits every part of the workflow chain: the employer, the employee, and the community at large.
In this seminar, we cover how to build your own telecommuting program for organizations where it seems like you absolutely have to be in the office. Topics include:
- Changing the mindset from allowing employees to trusting them
- Defining successful telecommuting for your organizations
- Pitfalls and roadblocks: what doesn’t work, and how to resolve it
- New collaboration techniques required when people are remote
Every industry can embrace some degree of workshifting, whether it’s taking administrative tasks away from the place of business or dividing up duties based on location. Join us for a lively, actionable discussion of how to embrace the future of work!
Powerful Strategies for Building a World Class Social Media Marketing Plan
With the ever-changing climate of social media, it’s hard to know what’s “in” and what will help grow your business. Social media, digital marketing and new technology holds tremendous opportunities for companies looking to drive new business, retain customers, create engagement and increase revenue. So many changes have come through social media in the past few years, and no doubt that more are on their way. Interested in where it is all going? Join Erica Campbell Byrum as she shares insight into social media trends to help you develop a world class social media marketing plan.
You're Not Listening To Me
This highly interactive presentation focuses on how you can transform your conversations simply by the way you listen and connect with others. You will understand ways to build trust and deepen connections by being introduced to the latest developments in the neuroscience of listening. Topics covered:
- Understanding the impact of listening on how people engage and interact
- Distinguishing the 4 levels of listening – Shifting from ‘noise in the attic’ and ‘face value’ listening … to partnerships for transformational change
- Discovering how our neurochemistry distorts how we listen
- Revealing 5 Listening Blindspots that prevent healthy relationships and impede optimal results when teams work together
- The Number One key to listening that lays the foundation for healthy conversations.
Pitch Perfect: Techniques for Mastering the Art of Presenting to Prospects
No matter where you are in your career, you need to explain your ideas to potential customers. You have to convince your boss, persuade your board of directors, and wow your clients. This requires more than just good ideas, however. Truly effective individuals not only think well, they present well. In this seminar, you will develop your own powerful presentation style.
- Designing a presentation: ditch the outline, embrace the drama
- Secrets of great slides, and how to speak without them
- Understanding stage presence
- Introduction to body language
- Engaging an audience that doesn’t want to listen
Plus: this seminar includes a mock session with the audience to provide hands on, direct experience. Participants will have a chance to come in front of the room and learn from the presenter.
Master the perfect pitch, and make your message soar!
Branding and Rebranding: The Power of “The One Thing” People Know
The world’s best brands—the ones you hear every day, buy in the grocery store, or whose slogans you can recite by heart—are successful because of intentional campaigns to establish themselves as “just one thing.” You and your business have a brand. But is it on purpose? And is it time for a re-brand?
In this seminar, we talk about how branding works and how to create a branding plan for yourself or your company. Topics include:
- Mission, vision, values: The trifecta that forms the foundation of every brand
- Eliminating everything you also do to focus on what you want to known for
- Brand standards: images, colors, logos, slogans, and emotions
- How to promote your brand: earned, paid, owned, and shared media
When you have a solid brand, you move ahead of the pack. Join this class to learn to become a brand that stands above!
As the World Turns
All aspects of turn will be discussed from early pre-planning, bid preparation for vendor selection, advanced ordering of turn supplies, carpet, and furniture, along with scheduling for timely resident move-outs reducing hold overs, and staff and vendor scheduling.
With many turns occurring in less than 10 business days, it is critical to prepare in advance for one of the largest controllable operational expenses that hit your bottom line.
Discussion will include how critical a successful turn impacts new move-ins which directly influence first time residents as their deciding factor in whether to renew or move out when their lease expires.
Maintenance Executive Social Hour
Leasing Agent Social Hour
Midwest Prodigy Awards Reception
Location: Indiana Roof Ballroom
Midwest Prodigy Awards Dinner
Location: Indiana Roof Ballroom